THINGS THAT REALLY
*S...* ME ABOUT BEING THE ONLY FEMALE I KNOW ON THE WEB.........
- Being elbowed out of the way at newsagents by pimply geeks who think
that you're in the wrong section if you are looking at PC or Web magazines.
- When I do mention that I am on the Net I am
told..."Oh, you're on it for the sex sites are you" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
- Or.."But what's it for, what do you do with it" (Puzzled
- Being ignored by shop assistants in computer stores
because I possibly couldn't know what I want because I'm a female.
- Only being able to discuss my favourite topic with penpals.
- Having to fix PC settings and such after the
males have messed with them so the kids can at least play their software (submitted by Shirl)
- Getting completely frustrated when trying to explain to friends with
children the same age as mine, how many things their children could be doing on the web
(story reading, abc's and 123's etc.) and the things they are missing out on!! (submitted by Reed)
- Having to share my pc with a 5 y.o.
because my husband "can't have little hands messing up his settings". (submitted by Lynne from Baltimore, USA)
- Having power struggles with large children for Who's Gonna Surf the
- After 15 years experience with computers, Basic
programming etc. being offered help by ernest 12 year olds when I use a school computer.
- Other women who seem to revel in their Luddite status. (9, 10 & 11 submitted by 'Ivassall', Australia)
- Having to help "Mr. I'm an expert
at using MS Office" set his browser proxies, his email configuration and his dial
ups...more than one!!! (submitted by Gayle)
- Suffering from endless male tirades about the use of a PC
just to find out they have never touched one before
(submitted by Martina Schneider, Muenster/Germany)
- Setting up a modem on a Friday night and staying up
until 6am Saturday re-installing and reconfiguring only to find that the modem is stuffed
and then being told to bring the whole mess back into work (but can't you just give me
some alternative modem init string? Of course, I've turned call waiting off! Yes, I'm
pretty sure that the plug is in....d'uh!) so that the "boys" can fix it
"properly" and then having them tell me, 3 days later, that the modem is stuffed
and they have to give me a new one. (Submitted by Michelle from Sydney)
- Men shying away from the topic of computers at dinner parties when it
becomes apparent that you know more about it than they do! (Submitted by Liz, South Australia)
- Chat rooms that require me to comment
on characters that rip off their clothes and demand sex...though it makes for good TV, I'm
looking more for a friendship and a civil discussion. (submitted
- Postings to technical newsgroups/mailing groups lists
starting with "hello kind sirs" or "Gents, I have a problem"
- My posts to technical newsgroups often
wind up with responses like "I like the photo on your web site, I've heard Australian
girls are friendly...." (17 & 18
submitted by Pauline van Winsen - Uniq Professional
- Having men return my technical support advice unfollowed,
asking to speak with someone who is more "technically capable" (submitted by Lisabeth Thierer, Webmaster & Chat Administrator of
talked to in a condescending manner by males, as if I didn't have a clue what *I* was
talking about, when it is obvious that they nothing about it themselves. (submitted by
- When certain visitors enter our house and the computer is
on, they assume that my husband is using the computer. Likewise, if they've tried to
call but the phone has been busy, they assume that my husband has been online and tying up
the phone lines. (submitted by Zelda - Feminist Mom Center of the Universe)
- In the vast majority of newsagencies, the
computer magazine section is invariably placed immediately next to the Playboy/Penthouse
section as if those two interests are somehow related. The choice is being elbowed aside
from one direction by computer nereds and in another direction by drooling teenagers on
the centrefolds.(submitted by Leah)
- Having to fight with my husband who can't
understand how to use the pc. When I try to explain to him how, he says I am only
trying to make it difficult for him to learn so as to make him feel dumb (submitted by
- What s***** me off is when dear husband tries to
call me at home and
if the phone is engaged/busy automaticaly assumes I am on the net and not
his dear daughter 14 chatting with her friends .. friends she has just
seen at school and picks up the phone as she drops her school bag at the
door..and. husbands who realy don't understand why we
love icq.........(submitted by Tunstall)
- Having to invest $196 on a Nintendo 64 so i can reclaim my
PC back from my 7 and 6 year old sons. :-) (submitted by Jo)
- Have you ever been so excited about what you
find on the web that you start printing out info for people you know on different
subjects? Only to find that they look at them with a blank face and then just shove
20 pages of informatin aside..I guess they would rather read glossy magazines with lots of
- Being asked by a pompous and ignorant 25 year old male
who has just spent eight hours (@ $30 per hour) trying to figure out how
to print an address on an envelope"How did you learn to use a
computer? Women your age usually don't" I am 50 (Submitted by
- Q."Hello dear, could you please put me through to a technician, I
have a technical question?"
A. "1. I am not your dear, 2. I am the technical supervisor and the
Shopping for tools with my husband and being ignored by the sales staff
- he wouldn't have the faintest idea what a T8 is or why I want the
specific set of crimps I want.
Having sales staff talk down to me - correcting them can be amusing
Having to use gender neutral names when on particular mailing lists so
as to keep the conversations on topic and not turning into an attempt to
pick me up (Submitted by Sara).
WELL...I JUST LOVE IT WHEN I TRY TALKING TO MY 4
CHILDREN AND MY HUSBAND ABOUT ANYTHING. I AM TOTALLY
IGNORED......UNTILL I START CHATTING ON THE COMPUTER. I THEN
FIND THEM BREATHING DOWN MY BACK.....HANGING ON EVERY WORD!!!!!!!
DOES THIS HAPPEN TO YOU?????????? (Submitted by Angelo)
Have you any gripes on this subject? If
so, email me and
I'll include them (anonymously if you like).
Back to the Home page and don't spare the